ABB: POWERING SINGAPORE AUTONOMOUS BUS PROJECT
ABB is underlining its leading role in sustainable global transport solutions with a new project together with Volvo Buses, this time for Nanyang Technological University (NTU) in Singapore: ABB will provide its state-of-the-art Heavy Vehicle Chargers (HVC) 300P for the forthcoming project to deliver two autonomous driving electric buses for the island by the beginning of 2019.
The HVC 300P fast charging system delivers 300 kW DC power and will recharge a battery in three to six minutes. It is based on OppCharge, an open interface for DC electric bus charging, which is now being used in Singapore and Asia Pacific. Using a pantograph mounted on the infrastructure for end-point charging, it allows buses to be charged at the end of the line, without impacting on the normal operation of the route.
The system will charge two all-electric 12-meter Volvo 7900 Electric buses and Volvo and NTU will build the autonomous driving solution on Volvo’s platform. This is Volvo’s first autonomous application in public transportation, following success in autonomous technology in mining, quarry and refuse collection operations.
One of the autonomous electric buses will be used at the Centre of Excellence for Testing and Research of Autonomous Vehicles (CETRAN) – Singapore’s advanced new test facility – where researchers will test new functions and study how the bus interacts with other road-users. The second bus will be used for tests in the bus depot, in partnership with SMRT. The aim of the project is to enable tomorrow’s autonomous buses to charge their batteries, drive to the vehicle wash and park – entirely autonomously.
Nanyang Technological University estimates that electric vehicles could make up as much as 50 percent of Singapore’s motor population by 2050 and we are proud to be helping make this vision become a reality. (Source ABB – Image: Volvo)
- TIDEWATER AND GULFMARK TO MERGE 16th July 2018
- WEATHERFORD DROPS LAND DRILLING OPERATIONS IN ALGERIA, KUWAIT AND SAUDI ARABIA 13th July 2018
- BP: START-UP OF SHAH DENIZ 2 OFFSHORE AZERBAIJAN 04th July 2018
- GENERAL ELECTRIC TO SPIN OFF BAKER HUGHES AND GE HEALTHCARE 27th June 2018
- GE AND EDF TO CONSTRUCT SIX EPR’s IN INDIA 27th June 2018
- USGS: EAGLE FORD HOLDS 8.5 BILLION BARRELS OF UNDISCOVERED OIL 25th June 2018
- EIGHTH OIL DISCOVERY OFFSHORE GUYANA FOR EXXONMOBIL 21st June 2018