ARGENTINA: STATOIL AWARDED BAJO DEL TORO ESTE EXPLORATION RIGHTS
As part of the Argentina’s Gas y Petróleo del Neuquén’s (GyP) 5th bidding round, Statoil has been awarded the Bajo del Toro Este exploration license as operator in the Neuquén basin.
Statoil will operate the license with a 90 % working interest, with Gas y Petróleo del Neuquén (GyP) retaining a 10 % interest.
“With the Bajo del Toro Este licence award we are building our light oil position in a world-class unconventional resource play, the Vaca Muerta Formation”, says Statoil’s executive vice president for Exploration, Tim Dodson.
The Bajo del Toro Este license borders the Bajo del Toro license to the west. Statoil and Argentina’s energy company YPF entered a (preliminary) agreement to jointly explore the Vaca Muerta Formation in the Bajo del Toro block in August 2017.
Tim Dodson, Statoil’s executive vice president for Exploration said:
“With increased ownership interests, and Statoil now becoming an operator, we are positioned to test the extent of the play and optimize with respect to materiality. We will also leverage our US onshore experience”.
The opportunities have an excellent fit with Statoil’s sharpened strategy, and is in line with the company’s exploration strategy of delivering profitable, high-quality resources.
The Bajo del Toro Este exploration license permit covers an area of area of more than 133 km2 (32,865 ac). The license is located in the Neuquén Basin in the western part of Argentina. Statoil has committed to one exploration well within the four-year exploration period, which starts in 2018.
- ORSTED – HEADWINDS ARE BLOWING ACROSS NEW JERSEY 02nd November 2023
- CHEVRON ACQUIRES HESS FOR $53 BILLION 24th October 2023
- EXXONMOBIL ACQUIRES PIONEER NATURAL RESOURCES 12th October 2023
- TEPCO – DISCHARGE OF FUKUSHIMA CONTAMINATED WATER TO THE OCEAN 27th August 2023
- NORWAY LOGS LARGEST HYDROCARBON DISCOVERY IN A DECADE 12th July 2023
- VOLOCOPTER AND ADP TO OFFER eVTOL SERVICES FOR THE 2024 OLYMPIC GAMES 25th June 2023