DAMEN VEROLME REFITS THE SEMI-SUBMERSIBLE STENA DON
Damen Verolme Rotterdam (DVR), one of Damen Shipyards Group’s most experienced yards in the repair and refit of complex offshore structures, has been awarded a contract by Stena Drilling for a refit of its drilling rig Stena Don. The vessel will arrive at DVR in October 2018 and is expected to remain there for around three months. The most significant aspect of the works will be the installation of an eight-point mooring system prior to the rig being deployed off the UK’s Shetland Islands.
Preparations are already underway at DVR to ensure that the installation of the mooring system can begin as soon as the Stena Don arrives at the yard. Various elements of the system need to be manufactured. These include the anchor chain blisters and sponsons which, weighing 1,200 tonnes in all, are currently being fabricated at Damen Shipyards Mangalia, ahead of being transferred to Rotterdam.
Other components of the system that are being prepared include eight anchor winches and the fairleads, plus the winch control cabins which will be supplied by Rolls Royce A.S. Modified VFD switchboards and brake resistor units will be delivered by Siemens A.S. The eight ultra-high-holding power anchors are being supplied by Damen Anchor and Chain Factory.
In addition to the mooring system, the yard will also install strengthening to the hull to comply with the new regulations regarding the mitigation of wave impact forces.
The Stena Don, a harsh environment, dynamically-positioned, Class 3 semi-submersible drilling rig, can drill in waters up to 500 metres deep and has accommodation for 120 personnel. 95.5 metres in length and with a beam of 67 metres, it was built by the Kvaerner Warnow Werft Shipyard in Germany in 2001. (Source and image: Damen)
- DORADO: ONE OF THE LARGEST OIL RESOURCES EVER FOUND ON THE AUSTRALIAN NORTH WEST SHELF 22nd August 2018
- PACIFIC DRILLING DRILLSHIPS BACK TO WORK AT LOW DAYRATES 20th August 2018
- MAERSK DRILLING TO BECOME A STAND ALONE COMPANY 17th August 2018
- ICHTHYS LNG PROJECT COMMENCES PRODUCTION 31st July 2018
- KAOMBO, LARGEST DEEP OFFSHORE DEVELOPMENT IN ANGOLA ON STREAM 30th July 2018
- WEATHERFORD DROPS LAND DRILLING OPERATIONS IN ALGERIA, KUWAIT AND SAUDI ARABIA 13th July 2018