DAMEN VEROLME REFITS THE SEMI-SUBMERSIBLE STENA DON
Damen Verolme Rotterdam (DVR), one of Damen Shipyards Group’s most experienced yards in the repair and refit of complex offshore structures, has been awarded a contract by Stena Drilling for a refit of its drilling rig Stena Don. The vessel will arrive at DVR in October 2018 and is expected to remain there for around three months. The most significant aspect of the works will be the installation of an eight-point mooring system prior to the rig being deployed off the UK’s Shetland Islands.
Preparations are already underway at DVR to ensure that the installation of the mooring system can begin as soon as the Stena Don arrives at the yard. Various elements of the system need to be manufactured. These include the anchor chain blisters and sponsons which, weighing 1,200 tonnes in all, are currently being fabricated at Damen Shipyards Mangalia, ahead of being transferred to Rotterdam.
Other components of the system that are being prepared include eight anchor winches and the fairleads, plus the winch control cabins which will be supplied by Rolls Royce A.S. Modified VFD switchboards and brake resistor units will be delivered by Siemens A.S. The eight ultra-high-holding power anchors are being supplied by Damen Anchor and Chain Factory.
In addition to the mooring system, the yard will also install strengthening to the hull to comply with the new regulations regarding the mitigation of wave impact forces.
The Stena Don, a harsh environment, dynamically-positioned, Class 3 semi-submersible drilling rig, can drill in waters up to 500 metres deep and has accommodation for 120 personnel. 95.5 metres in length and with a beam of 67 metres, it was built by the Kvaerner Warnow Werft Shipyard in Germany in 2001. (Source and image: Damen)
- OCEAN GREATWHITE WORLD’S LAGEST DRILLING SEMI-SUBMERSIBLE ARRIVES AT KISHORN PORT 18th January 2019
- NEW HORIZONS MAKES HISTORIC FLYBY OF ULTIMA THULE 01st January 2019
- NASA: ARCTIC ICE GROWS AT FASTER PACE IN WINTER 29th December 2018
- TRANSOCEAN AWARDED FIVE-YEAR CONTRACT FOR NEWBUILD ULTRA-DEEPWATER DRILLSHIP 29th December 2018
- SHELL PRELUDE FLNG FACILITY STARTS PRODUCTION IN WESTERN AUSTRALIA 26th December 2018
- AASTA HANSTEEN GAS FIELD ON STREAM 18th December 2018