DNV GL LAUNCHES FIRST LIDAR VERIFICATION SITE IN SOUTH KOREA
DNV GL, the world’s largest resource of independent energy experts and certification body, has announced that it has launched its first LiDAR verification site in Asia, based in South Korea. Located at Youngkwang, Jella province the site provides optimal wind conditions for the verification of wind systems.
To date, Korean wind farm developer DaeHan Energy and distributor of LiDAR device manufacturer VisionPlus have already successfully completed their verification campaign at the site in Korea.
Previously, LiDAR verification campaigns for Asian stakeholders had to be conducted at oversea sites. With the opening of the verification site in Korea, stakeholders now have the opportunity to conduct verification campaigns locally. LiDAR measurement verifications are vital to subsequently conduct measurement campaigns for power performance testing of wind turbines as well as site assessments with LiDAR measurement systems.
With the advancements in wind turbine technology, turbines are increasing in capacity and height. While traditional met masts usually have fixed heights of 60 m to 120 m, LiDAR technology can take measurements of up to 200 m at more height intervals. In combination with its portability, LiDAR is quickly becoming the preferred measurement method by the wind industry.
LiDAR measurement systems have been widely adopted by the wind industry as a cost-effective tool for various measurement applications such as wind resource and power curve measurements as well as turbine control. This information is crucial in the development process of new wind turbines, to assess if they produce the power output as predicted in theoretical design phase of the turbine development. Furthermore, the data of the verification campaign is vital for site assessments, for example for the development of new wind parks.
The new test site has been developed with the input from DNV GL’s team of German LiDAR experts. DNV GL is among the pioneering companies to conduct wind campaigns with LiDAR technology, having conducted turbine and site measurements and verifications in this field since 2005. In recent years, the demand for LiDAR measurement campaigns has been increasing greatly, in Germany alone the demand for LiDAR verification has increased by 100% for DNV GL.
(Source and Image: DNV GL)
- SAIPEM AND SUBSEA 7 – A POSSIBLE MERGER TO CREATE A GIANT 19th November 2019
- SHEARWATER GEOSERVICES AWARDED LARGEST EVER 4D CAMPAIGN IN THE ASIA PACIFIC 18th November 2019
- TOTAL FLOWS FIRST GAS FROM IARA IN THE SANTOS BASIN DEEPWATER 18th November 2019
- ADNOC AND TOTAL – WORLD’S FIRST AUTOMATED SEISMIC ACQUISITION 14th November 2019
- IRAN HAS DISCOVERED NEW GIANT OILFIELD IN KHUZESTAN PROVINCE 11th November 2019
- ENCANA TO LEAVE CANADA AND ESTABLISH HEADQUARTERS IN THE UNITED STATES 08th November 2019
- SAIPEM 7000 ESTABLISHES NEW LIFTING RECORD FOR THE GULF OF MEXICO 31st October 2019
- BP AND KOSMOS ENERGY MAKE MAJOR GAS DISCOVERY OFFSHORE MAURITANIA 29th October 2019