EX SERTAO DRILLSHIP KANUNI ARRIVES IN TURKEY
Turkey’s Energy and Natural Resources Minister Fatih Donmez announced that the Kanuni, Turkey’s third drillship arrived in the port of Mersin on the south coast of Turkey after 18 days of voyage. Coming from Port Talbot, near Swansee in Wales, UK, where it was cold stacked, the drillship ship entered Turkey’s Mediterranean coastal waters on March, 13. Kanuni is expected to operate either in the Eastern Mediterranean or the Black Sea, where drilling work has been long suspended.
Having bought the first two drilling vessels from Norway, Turkey purchased the Sertao drillship from the U.K. for much less than its market price. Sertao is a Samsung S10000E ultra deepwater drillship built at Geoge Shipyard in South Korea. The drillship delivered in 2012, last worked for Petrobras offshore Brazil from mid-2012 to May 2015, when it was managed by Schahin. Dleif Drilling LLC repossessed the unit in October 2015 and the unit was subsequently moved to the UK.
According to IHSMarkit, the Sertao was auctioned by CW Kellock & Co in January 2020 for USD37.5 million. A previous auction held in June 2018 did not result in a buyer.
Sertao had been adapted for operating in high pressure, high temperature wells, and is capable of drilling wells in depths of water of up to 3000 meters in pre-salt layer fields.
According to the Turkish authorities, Turkish Petroleum Corporation (TPAO) took the ship into its inventory on January, 31. Kanuni is the company’s third drillship. TPOA previously acquired the Deepsea Metro 1 and deepsea Metro II, renamed Yavuz and Fatih respectively.
(Source: Eggar Forrester/Infield/Hurriet/Daily Sabah/HIS Markit/Cyprus Mail)
- CONTRACT TERMINATIONS FOR VALARIS DS-8 AND JU-109 OFFSHORE ANGOLA 27th March 2020
- WARTSILA INITIATES COMBUSTION TRIALS USING AMMONIA 26th March 2020
- SCHLUMBERGER CUTS CAPITAL EXPENDITURES BY UP TO 30% 25th March 2020
- SHELL TO SLASH OPERATING COSTS AND CAPEX 24th March 2020
- TOTAL ANNOUNCES IMMEDIATE ACTION PLAN IN RESPONSE TO SHARP DECREASE IN OIL PRICES 23rd March 2020
- EX SERTAO DRILLSHIP KANUNI ARRIVES IN TURKEY 16th March 2020