EX SERTAO DRILLSHIP KANUNI ARRIVES IN TURKEY
Turkey’s Energy and Natural Resources Minister Fatih Donmez announced that the Kanuni, Turkey’s third drillship arrived in the port of Mersin on the south coast of Turkey after 18 days of voyage. Coming from Port Talbot, near Swansee in Wales, UK, where it was cold stacked, the drillship ship entered Turkey’s Mediterranean coastal waters on March, 13. Kanuni is expected to operate either in the Eastern Mediterranean or the Black Sea, where drilling work has been long suspended.
Having bought the first two drilling vessels from Norway, Turkey purchased the Sertao drillship from the U.K. for much less than its market price. Sertao is a Samsung S10000E ultra deepwater drillship built at Geoge Shipyard in South Korea. The drillship delivered in 2012, last worked for Petrobras offshore Brazil from mid-2012 to May 2015, when it was managed by Schahin. Dleif Drilling LLC repossessed the unit in October 2015 and the unit was subsequently moved to the UK.
According to IHSMarkit, the Sertao was auctioned by CW Kellock & Co in January 2020 for USD37.5 million. A previous auction held in June 2018 did not result in a buyer.
Sertao had been adapted for operating in high pressure, high temperature wells, and is capable of drilling wells in depths of water of up to 3000 meters in pre-salt layer fields.
According to the Turkish authorities, Turkish Petroleum Corporation (TPAO) took the ship into its inventory on January, 31. Kanuni is the company’s third drillship. TPOA previously acquired the Deepsea Metro 1 and deepsea Metro II, renamed Yavuz and Fatih respectively.
(Source: Eggar Forrester/Infield/Hurriet/Daily Sabah/HIS Markit/Cyprus Mail)
- PACIFIC DRILLING COMMENCES VOLUNTARY CHAPTER 11 PROCEEDINGS 03rd November 2020
- SCHLUMBERGER NORTH AMERICA REVENUE DOWN 59% YEAR-ON-YEAR 19th October 2020
- JACQUES SAADE FIRST LNG-POWERED 23,000 TEU CONTAINER SHIP JOINS CMA CGM FLEET 23rd September 2020
- EXXONMOBIL REPORTS 18th DISCOVERY OFFSHORE GUYANA 09th September 2020
- VLCC TANKER NEW DIAMOND ABLAZE OFF SRI LANKA 07th September 2020
- SCHLUMBERGER SELLS ITS NORTH AMERICAN FRACTURING BUSINESS TO LIBERTY 02nd September 2020