FRANCE – ORANO TO DISMANTLE EXPERIMENTAL REACTOR ULYSSE
After five years of works, the project to completely dismantle the experimental nuclear reactor Ulysse has been closed out successfully and on schedule by Orano teams in conjunction with the CEA. This success further strengthens the group’s expertise in the decommissioning of nuclear fuel cycle facilities as well as power and research reactors.
Operated by CEA teams at Saclay from 1961 to 2007, the low-power reactor Ulysse was mainly operated for teaching and continuing education purposes by INSTN (the French National Institute for Nuclear Science and Technology).
The project mobilized teams from Orano DS, the entity of the group specializing in dismantling, radioactive waste management and services to nuclear operators. Completion of dismantling was in line with the schedule set in 2014 by the French Nuclear Safety Authority (ASN) and now paves the way for the administrative decommissioning of the facility.
The scope of the works covered the entire structure, from the civil engineering and connected systems through to the reactor core. The deconstruction generated 512 metric tons of conventional waste and 226 metric tons of very low-level waste (VLLW), to be shipped to approved storage facilities.
Alain Vandercruyssen, Senior Executive Vice President in charge of Orano’s Dismantling and Services activities, declared: “The timely completion of this project underscores both the determination of the teams on the ground to meet the commitments undertaken and the good coordination with CEA. Congratulations to all those who contributed to this achievement, which extends our group’s experience in dismantling.”
(Source and image: Orano)
- CHESAPEAKE FILES FOR CHAPTER 11 30th June 2020
- BP SELLS ITS PETROCHEMICAL BUSINESS TO INEOS 30th June 2020
- NORILSK NICKEL TANK COLLAPSES – 21,000 TONS OF DIESEL LEAK INTO ARTIC RIVER 05th June 2020
- VATTENFALL TO CONSTRUCT WORLD’S LARGEST OFFSHORE WINDFARM 05th June 2020
- QATAR PETROLEUM SIGNS THE LARGEST SHIPBUILDING AGREEMENT IN HISTORY 02nd June 2020
- MAKO GAS FIELD BECOMES THE LARGEST GAS FIELD IN WEST NATUNA BASIN 26th May 2020
- NEPTUNE ENERGY CONDUCTS WORLD’S FIRST IN DUAL DRILLING SUBSEA AT FENJA FIELD 13th May 2020