GALP HITS HYDROCARBONS OFFSHORE NAMIBIA
Galp Energia and its partners NAMCOR and Custos initiated the drilling campaign in PEL 83, offshore Namibia, on November 17, 2023. The first well, Mopane-1X, indicates preliminary signs of hydrocarbon presence. Drilling and data acquisition campaigns are underway.
PEL 83 is located to the north of PEL 39, where Shell has made notable basin opening discoveries at Graff-1, La Rona-1, and Jonker-1. Additionally, PEL 83 is positioned to the north and west of PEL 56, where TotalEnergies unveiled a significant oil discovery at Venus-1. Ongoing exploration and appraisal efforts by both Shell and Total are advancing on their respective blocks.
In May 2023, Galp inked an agreement with SFL Corporation to secure the semi-submersible Hercules, which is currently drilling the Mopane-1X well.
The initial contract involves the drilling of two wells along with the option for well testing.
The primary focus of the initial drilling campaign is directed towards the extensive Mopane complex situated at the southern extremity of PEL 83, boasting an estimated mean oil-in-place of up to 10 billion barrels.
Galp Energia is a Portuguese multinational energy corporation, headquartered in Lisbon, Portugal.
- QATARENERGY TO INCREASE AL-SHAHEEN OIL PRODUCTION BY 100,000 BARRELS PER DAY 02nd February 2024
- MAJOR PIPELAY ACCIDENT OFF THE COAST OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA 01st February 2024
- LATIN AMERICA AND AFRICA WILL LEAD THE WAY IN HIGH-IMPACT EXPLORATION DRILLING 01st February 2024
- SLB AND EQUINOR DRILL LONGEST WELL SECTION IN AUTONOMOUS MODE 31st January 2024
- SHELL TURNS A PAGE OF HISTORY IN NIGERIA 18th January 2024