HUSKY ENERGY CUTS ITS 2020 SPENDINGS BY USD 1 BILLION
Husky Energy is taking a series of actions to fortify its business in response to challenging global market conditions.
These initiatives reflect the Company’s commitment to capital discipline, which includes maintaining the strength of its balance sheet while protecting value in an extended low commodity price environment. Husky’s drive to improve process and occupational safety is unaffected and remains a top priority.
“Husky has three important advantages: a strong balance sheet, an Integrated Corridor which includes a sizeable downstream and midstream segment, and Offshore operations that include long-term gas contracts in the Asia Pacific region not linked to the price of oil,” said CEO Rob Peabody.
Given current market conditions Husky will commence the safe and orderly reduction, or shut-in, of production where it is cash negative on a variable cost basis at current prices.
2020 Capital Program Reduced by $900 Million; Further Cost Reductions of $100 Million
• Investment in resource plays and conventional heavy oil projects in Western Canada has been halted, with a focus on optimizing existing production and lowering costs.
• Drilling of sustaining pads at all thermal operations has been suspended.
• Lloydminster thermal projects scheduled to be delivered beyond 2020 have been deferred and will be reconsidered as market conditions improve.
• In the Asia Pacific region, the development of the Block 15/33 oil field offshore China has been deferred by a year.
• In Indonesia, development of the MDA-MBH natural gas field has been deferred. The Liuhua 29-1 field at the Liwan Gas Project is being advanced as planned, with first production expected by the end of 2020.
The Calgary-based company continues to review further capital adjustments in response to the current market environment.
Additional cost reduction initiatives totalling approximately $100 million in 2020 will include a reduction in well servicing activities on uneconomic production, and a halt in exploration activity.
(Source: Husky Energy – LLoydminster Thermal Project)
- PACIFIC DRILLING COMMENCES VOLUNTARY CHAPTER 11 PROCEEDINGS 03rd November 2020
- SCHLUMBERGER NORTH AMERICA REVENUE DOWN 59% YEAR-ON-YEAR 19th October 2020
- JACQUES SAADE FIRST LNG-POWERED 23,000 TEU CONTAINER SHIP JOINS CMA CGM FLEET 23rd September 2020
- EXXONMOBIL REPORTS 18th DISCOVERY OFFSHORE GUYANA 09th September 2020
- VLCC TANKER NEW DIAMOND ABLAZE OFF SRI LANKA 07th September 2020
- SCHLUMBERGER SELLS ITS NORTH AMERICAN FRACTURING BUSINESS TO LIBERTY 02nd September 2020