JAPAN RESTARTS ITS HIGH TEMPERATURE ENGINEERING TEST REACTOR
The High Temperature Engineering Test Reactor (HTTR), 30MW experimental high temperature gas-cooled reactor (HTGR) of Japan Atomic Energy Agency (JAEA) has restarted its operation on July 30, 2021.
The test reactor is located at the Oarai Research Institute in the Ibaraki Prefecture bordering the Pacific Ocean northeast of Tokyo.
During the earthquake that hit Japan in 2011, the HTTR itself was not severely damaged, but regulatory requirements were enhanced in view of the lessons learned from the accident at TEPCO’s Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station. After the safety review by the Nuclear Regulation Authority in conformity with new regulatory requirements for more than 5 years, JAEA obtained the permission and restarted the HTTR without significant reinforcement.
As the momentum toward the carbon neutrality by 2050 has built up globally and a significant role of nuclear energy, especially advanced nuclear reactors, has been increasingly recognized, HTGR is considered one of the promising technology options both for power generation and hydrogen production.
JAEA will carry out the safety demonstration tests by using the HTTR under the framework of OECD/NEA project. Also, JAEA has a plan to conduct various tests to confirm safety, core physics & thermal-fluid characteristics, fuel performance. Furthermore, the demonstration plan of hydrogen production by the HTTR is under discussion. Through those tests utilizing HTTR and the efforts on the establishment of global safety standard we will make a contribution to the international community.
- ORSTED – HEADWINDS ARE BLOWING ACROSS NEW JERSEY 02nd November 2023
- CHEVRON ACQUIRES HESS FOR $53 BILLION 24th October 2023
- EXXONMOBIL ACQUIRES PIONEER NATURAL RESOURCES 12th October 2023
- TEPCO – DISCHARGE OF FUKUSHIMA CONTAMINATED WATER TO THE OCEAN 27th August 2023
- NORWAY LOGS LARGEST HYDROCARBON DISCOVERY IN A DECADE 12th July 2023
- VOLOCOPTER AND ADP TO OFFER eVTOL SERVICES FOR THE 2024 OLYMPIC GAMES 25th June 2023