JEBEL ALI BECOMES THE LARGEST GAS DISCOVERY IN 15 YEARS
Jebel Ali, the UAE’s recent discovery of 80 trillion cubic feet of shallow gas reserves in an area straddling the emirates of Abu Dhabi and Dubai is the biggest find in 15 years, analysts said.
“The find ranks as the largest global gas discovery since Galkynysh [South Yolotan],” said Liam Yates, Middle East upstream analyst at Wood Mackenzie.
The Turkmen gasfield – the world’s second-largest – was discovered in 2005 and is estimated to hold about 500 trillion cf of gas.
“A discovery of this scale will be a clear priority for development, but the timing will be dependent on where it fits into the UAE’s gas market. Large volumes of gas are associated with oil production, which is on the rise” Mr Yates said.
On Sunday, state-owned Adnoc and the Dubai Supply Authority signed an agreement to explore the resources jointly.
Around 10 exploration and appraisal wells were drilled by Adnoc in its first-ever exploration in Dubai over 5,000 square kilometres of land between Saih As Sidirah and Jebel Ali.
Shallow gas refers to organic gas found in relatively shallow depths below the ground’s surface. The shallow nature of the resource will also ensure that the development costs of gas production will be lower than unlocking Abu Dhabi’s sour gas caps, Mr Yates said.
Sour gas refers to gas reserves containing significant volumes of sulphur. Much of the gas in Abu Dhabi is sour, with Adnoc spending billions of dollars developing gas reserves previously deemed uneconomical, especially in Hail and Ghasha, alongside foreign partners.
(Source: thenational.ae/Wood Mackenzie – Image: drilling the jebel Ali reservoir/ADNOC)
- PETROFAC EMIRATES AWARDED TWO CONTRACTS WORTH $1.65 BILLION IN ABU DHABI 19th February 2020
- ENI DISCOVERS OIL IN THE MID-DEEP WATER OF THE CUENCA SALINA OFFSHORE MEXICO 18th February 2020
- JEBEL ALI BECOMES THE LARGEST GAS DISCOVERY IN 15 YEARS 05th February 2020
- STAGE COMPLETIONS COMPLETES RECORD 142-STAGE JOB IN THE PERMIAN BASIN 30th January 2020
- EXXONMOBIL DISCOVERS OIL AT UARU OFFSHORE GUYANA 29th January 2020
- ENCANA BECOMES OVINTIV AND ESTABLISHES HEADQUARTERS IN DENVER 27th January 2020
- HALLIBURTON REPORTS $1.7 BILLION LOSS IN Q4 2019 22nd January 2020