MITSUBISHI SELECTED TO DESIGN DEMONSTRATION FAST REACTOR IN JAPAN
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) has been selected as the core company in charge of the conceptual design of an demonstration fast reactor which the Japanese Government aims to place into operation in the 2040s. MHI will oversee both the conceptual design as well as research and development (R&D) for the sodium-cooled fast reactor in partnership with Mitsubishi FBR Systems, Inc. (MFBR), an MHI Group engineering company that handles the development and design of fast reactors. The conceptual design work is scheduled to commence in fiscal 2024.
Today, high expectations are focused on the practical implementation of fast reactor as a technology that can contribute to Japan’s basic policy of promoting the nuclear fuel cycle, from three perspectives:
• Reductions in the volume and hazard level of highly radioactive waste
• Effective use of energy resources
• Energy self-reliance
Going forward, MHI, together with MFBR, will apply its technologies and experience as it begins the demonstration reactor’s conceptual design and its requisite R&D, for the realization of fast reactor.
(Source: Mitsubishi heavy Industries)
- TEPCO – DISCHARGE OF FUKUSHIMA CONTAMINATED WATER TO THE OCEAN 27th August 2023
- NORWAY LOGS LARGEST HYDROCARBON DISCOVERY IN A DECADE 12th July 2023
- VOLOCOPTER AND ADP TO OFFER eVTOL SERVICES FOR THE 2024 OLYMPIC GAMES 25th June 2023