NEW MEXICO: BP MAKES DISCOVERY IN MANCOS SHALE
BP has brought online a highly productive natural gas well in the Mancos Shale, highlighting the potential of the New Mexico field to be a significant new source of U.S. natural gas supply. Early production rates at the NEBU 602 Com 1H well in San Juan County are the highest achieved in the past 14 years within the San Juan Basin, a large oil and gas producing area spanning southwest Colorado and northeast New Mexico that includes the Mancos Shale. The well achieved an average 30-day initial production rate of 12.9 million cubic feet per day.
The successful well test took place on assets BP acquired in late 2015, which expanded the company’s existing position in the San Juan Basin and provided improved access to the Mancos Shale.
“We are delighted with the initial production rate of this well,” said Dave Lawler, CEO of BP’s U.S. Lower 48 onshore business. “This result supports our strategic view that significant resource potential exists in the San Juan Basin, and gives us confidence to pursue additional development of the Mancos Shale, which we believe could become one of the leading shale plays in the U.S.”
The NEBU 602 Com 1H well was drilled with a 10,000-foot lateral in an area known as the Northeast Blanco Unit, a section of federal lands located in San Juan and Rio Arriba counties of New Mexico, where BP has had a presence since the 1920s. (Source: BP – Image: Mancos shale cores / USGS)
- QATAR PETROLEUM SIGNS THE LARGEST SHIPBUILDING AGREEMENT IN HISTORY 02nd June 2020
- MAKO GAS FIELD BECOMES THE LARGEST GAS FIELD IN WEST NATUNA BASIN 26th May 2020
- NEPTUNE ENERGY CONDUCTS WORLD’S FIRST IN DUAL DRILLING SUBSEA AT FENJA FIELD 13th May 2020
- TOTAL REINFORCES ITS ACTION PLAN TO FACE THE CURRENT CRISIS 06th May 2020
- REPSOL AND PARTNERS MAKE TWO OIL DISCOVERIES OFFSHORE MEXICO 06th May 2020
- CHEVRON BOOKS PROFITS BUT TRIMS SAILS FOR DIFFICULT DAYS AHEAD 04th May 2020
- 5,000 TON LIEBHERR CRANE CRASHES DURING LOAD TEST ON ORION 1 INSTALLATION VESSEL 04th May 2020