HURRICANE HUNTERS PREPARE FOR THE HURRICANE SEASON
In effort to build a Weather-Ready Nation ahead of this year’s Atlantic hurricane season, NOAA’s hurricane hunters and hurricane experts will tour five U.S. Gulf Coast cities from May 7-11 to raise awareness about the importance of preparing for the upcoming hurricane season.
At each stop, the public and media can view the NOAA Gulfstream IV aircraft, which flies ahead of a storm, and take a tour inside a U.S. Air Force ReserveWC-130J hurricane hunter aircraft, which flies directly through the eye of a storm.
“Last year, hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Nate proved again that the entire Gulf Coast is at risk from storms and that several hurricanes can strike in a single season,” said Ken Graham, director of NOAA’s National Hurricane Center, who will lead the tour along with several NHC hurricane experts. “Don’t wait for a hurricane to be on your doorstep to make a preparedness plan, by then it may be too late. Take the time now to get prepared for the season ahead.”
The 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron, assigned to the Air Force Reserve’s 403rd Wing at Keesler Air Force Base, Biloxi, Mississippi, knows the importance of having a plan. The squadron had to relocate to Ellington Field near Houston to fly reconnaissance missions into Hurricane Nate as the storm made landfall in Biloxi last October.
“Last year was an extremely busy hurricane season,” said Lt. Col. Kait Woods, 53rd WRS chief meteorologist. “We flew more than 800 hours during more than 90 missions into 12 named storms. We fly into these storms to gather data to improve the accuracy of National Hurricane Center forecasts and ultimately for people’s safety so they can make an informed decision to stay or evacuate. Being prepared and having a plan is so important during hurricane season.”
NOAA has conducted the hurricane awareness tour for more than 35 years, alternating between the U.S. Gulf and Atlantic coasts. The tour is part of NOAA’s hurricane hazard education campaign, coinciding with National Hurricane Preparedness Week. (Source: NOAA – Image: Flying into hurricane Harvey/Kevin Doreumus/NOAA)
- NOBLE CORPORATION FILES FOR CHAPTER 11 TO HANDLE 3.4 BILLION OF DEBT 04th August 2020
- VALARIS SELLS SIX DRILLING UNITS – FILING FOR BANKRUPTCY IS IMMINENT 03rd August 2020
- APACHE MAKES MAJOR OIL DISCOVERY AT KWASKWASI-1 OFFSHORE SURINAME 30th July 2020
- SCHLUMBERGER – THE MOST CHALLENGING QUARTER IN PAST DECADES 27th July 2020
- BAKER HUGHES REVENUE DOWN 21% YEAR-ON-YEAR 23rd July 2020
- CHEVRON TO ACQUIRE NOBLE ENERGY FOR $5 BILLION 21st July 2020
- HEEREMA’S SLEIPNIR BREAKS SINGLE LIFT RECORD AT JOTUN FIELD 20th July 2020
- CHINA TO BUILD 6 TO 8 NUCLEAR REACTORS ANNUALLY BETWEEN 2020 AND 2025 09th July 2020