NUSCALE LAUNCHES UK SMR ACTION PLAN
Leading U.S. nuclear technology developer NuScale Power has launched a bold action plan for the near-term deployment of innovative small modular reactors (SMRs) in the UK.
In a five-point “UK SMR Action Plan”, NuScale has set out how it will partner with UK industry to deliver a multi-billion pound SMR venture, offering the potential for UK companies to provide more than 85% of the content required for UK deployments.
NuScale’s action plan builds on the strong collaboration it has been developing with UK organisations for the past several years. The company already works in strategic partnership with Ultra Electronics; collaborates with Sheffield Forgemasters via a programme supported by Innovate UK; and partners with the Nuclear Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre.
The UK needs SMR deployment in the 2020s as a low-carbon replacement for retiring coal-fired power stations, a replacement for an ageing nuclear fleet (1a), and to meet future capacity from an increased demand from electric vehicles
The NuScale SMR is an advanced light-water reactor wherein each NuScale Power ModuleTM is a self-contained unit that operates independently within a multi-module configuration. Up to 12 modules are monitored and operated from a single control room. The reactor measures 65 feet tall x 9 feet in diameter. It sits within a containment vessel
- BASSOE OFFSHORE: UP TO 200 JACKUPS TO SCRAP 17th February 2018
- NOBLE ENERGY SELLS DEEPWATER GULF ASSETS FOR $710 MILLION 16th February 2018
- NEPTUNE ENERGY ACQUIRES ENGIE E&P 16th February 2018
- BLAST ONBOARD SAGAR BHUSHAN DRILLSHIP KILLS FIVE 15th February 2018
- ENI CONFIRMS CALYPSO DISCOVERY OFFSHORE CYPRUS 09th February 2018
- 2018 OUTLOOK FOR ENERGY – A VIEW TO 2040 05th February 2018
- MAERSK DISCOVERER ACHIEVES SHALLOWEST WATER DRILLING IN DP MODE 29th January 2018