NUSCALE LAUNCHES UK SMR ACTION PLAN
Leading U.S. nuclear technology developer NuScale Power has launched a bold action plan for the near-term deployment of innovative small modular reactors (SMRs) in the UK.
In a five-point “UK SMR Action Plan”, NuScale has set out how it will partner with UK industry to deliver a multi-billion pound SMR venture, offering the potential for UK companies to provide more than 85% of the content required for UK deployments.
NuScale’s action plan builds on the strong collaboration it has been developing with UK organisations for the past several years. The company already works in strategic partnership with Ultra Electronics; collaborates with Sheffield Forgemasters via a programme supported by Innovate UK; and partners with the Nuclear Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre.
The UK needs SMR deployment in the 2020s as a low-carbon replacement for retiring coal-fired power stations, a replacement for an ageing nuclear fleet (1a), and to meet future capacity from an increased demand from electric vehicles
The NuScale SMR is an advanced light-water reactor wherein each NuScale Power ModuleTM is a self-contained unit that operates independently within a multi-module configuration. Up to 12 modules are monitored and operated from a single control room. The reactor measures 65 feet tall x 9 feet in diameter. It sits within a containment vessel
- CHESAPEAKE FILES FOR CHAPTER 11 30th June 2020
- BP SELLS ITS PETROCHEMICAL BUSINESS TO INEOS 30th June 2020
- NORILSK NICKEL TANK COLLAPSES – 21,000 TONS OF DIESEL LEAK INTO ARTIC RIVER 05th June 2020
- VATTENFALL TO CONSTRUCT WORLD’S LARGEST OFFSHORE WINDFARM 05th June 2020
- QATAR PETROLEUM SIGNS THE LARGEST SHIPBUILDING AGREEMENT IN HISTORY 02nd June 2020
- MAKO GAS FIELD BECOMES THE LARGEST GAS FIELD IN WEST NATUNA BASIN 26th May 2020
- NEPTUNE ENERGY CONDUCTS WORLD’S FIRST IN DUAL DRILLING SUBSEA AT FENJA FIELD 13th May 2020