NUSCALE LAUNCHES UK SMR ACTION PLAN
Leading U.S. nuclear technology developer NuScale Power has launched a bold action plan for the near-term deployment of innovative small modular reactors (SMRs) in the UK.
In a five-point “UK SMR Action Plan”, NuScale has set out how it will partner with UK industry to deliver a multi-billion pound SMR venture, offering the potential for UK companies to provide more than 85% of the content required for UK deployments.
NuScale’s action plan builds on the strong collaboration it has been developing with UK organisations for the past several years. The company already works in strategic partnership with Ultra Electronics; collaborates with Sheffield Forgemasters via a programme supported by Innovate UK; and partners with the Nuclear Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre.
The UK needs SMR deployment in the 2020s as a low-carbon replacement for retiring coal-fired power stations, a replacement for an ageing nuclear fleet (1a), and to meet future capacity from an increased demand from electric vehicles
The NuScale SMR is an advanced light-water reactor wherein each NuScale Power ModuleTM is a self-contained unit that operates independently within a multi-module configuration. Up to 12 modules are monitored and operated from a single control room. The reactor measures 65 feet tall x 9 feet in diameter. It sits within a containment vessel
- HYUNDAY HEAVY INDUSTRIES TO HALT OPERATIONS AT OFFSHORE SHIPYARDS 22nd June 2018
- EIGHTH OIL DISCOVERY OFFSHORE GUYANA FOR EXXONMOBIL 21st June 2018
- EQUINOR AWARDS THE LARGEST SERVICES CONTRACTS EVER 19th June 2018
- DEVELOPMENT DRILLING OF LIZA PHASE 1 OFFSHORE GUYANA COMMENCES 13th June 2018
- TAISHIN 1 WORLD FIRST EPR STARTED 11th June 2018
- SHELL REPORTS DOVER DISCOVERY IN THE GULF OF MEXICO 24th May 2018