NUSCALE PREPARES GROUND TO DEPLOY SMALL MODULAR REACTOR IN CANADA
NuScale Power today announced its first submittal to the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) for pre-licensing vendor design review (VDR) of NuScale’s innovative small modular reactor (SMR) design. This submission reflects the substantive work that NuScale continues to accomplish in the regulatory field as the company is simultaneously bringing the U.S.’s first NuScale power plant into production and operation by 2026.
“Interest in building NuScale plants in Canada continues to grow. This pre-licensing process allows our design to be reviewed by another highly respected regulator, the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission, and we look forward to their thorough evaluation of our innovative safety features,” said NuScale Chairman and Chief Executive Officer John Hopkins. “We are thrilled to continue our path forward to introduce our scalable, economic, carbon-free, and safe SMR technology to Canadian customers.”
Building on the extensive body of information NuScale developed as part of the NRC’s DCA process, the VDR submission to the CNSC will allow a NuScale customer to maximize increased efficiencies for technical reviews when later seeking to submit a construction license application. NuScale’s technology is the world’s first and only SMR to undergo design certification review by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC). On December 12, 2019 the company announced the NRC completion of Phase 4 of its SMR design certification application (DCA). Completion of Phase 4 is significant as it indicates near-completion of the technical review, and the entire review of NuScale’s design is in Phases 5 and 6. With the VDR submission to the CNSC, NuScale is eager to ensure that its revolutionary SMR technology meets both Canadian regulatory requirements and the needs of its customers.
NuScale Power headquartered in Portland, Oregon, has developed a new modular light water reactor nuclear power plant to supply energy for electrical generation, district heating, desalination, and other process heat applications.
- PETROFAC EMIRATES AWARDED TWO CONTRACTS WORTH $1.65 BILLION IN ABU DHABI 19th February 2020
- ENI DISCOVERS OIL IN THE MID-DEEP WATER OF THE CUENCA SALINA OFFSHORE MEXICO 18th February 2020
- JEBEL ALI BECOMES THE LARGEST GAS DISCOVERY IN 15 YEARS 05th February 2020
- STAGE COMPLETIONS COMPLETES RECORD 142-STAGE JOB IN THE PERMIAN BASIN 30th January 2020
- EXXONMOBIL DISCOVERS OIL AT UARU OFFSHORE GUYANA 29th January 2020
- ENCANA BECOMES OVINTIV AND ESTABLISHES HEADQUARTERS IN DENVER 27th January 2020
- HALLIBURTON REPORTS $1.7 BILLION LOSS IN Q4 2019 22nd January 2020