OFFSHORE WIND IN EUROPE GREW 25% IN 2017
2017 was a record year for offshore wind in Europe according to statistics released today by WindEurope. Europe installed 3.1 GW of new offshore wind, taking total capacity to 15.8 GW, an increase of 25% in just one year.
13 new offshore wind farms were completed, including the world’s first floating offshore wind farm, Hywind Scotland. The UK and Germany accounted for most of them, installing 1.7 GW and 1.3 GW respectively. Europe now has over 4,000 offshore wind turbines operating across 11 countries, making a total of 15.8 GW of installed and grid-connected capacity.
The average size of the new turbines was 5.9 MW, a 23% increase on 2016. And the average size of the new offshore wind farms was 493 MW, a 34% increase in 2016. Capacity factors are increasing too. There are projects in Europe operating already at capacity factors of 54% (Anholt 1, Denmark) or even 65% (Dudgeon, UK).
A further 11 offshore wind farms are currently under construction, and they’ll add another 2.9 GW. The project pipeline should then give us 25 GW total by 2020. But offshore wind in Europe remains heavily concentrated in a small number of countries: 98% of it is in the UK, Germany, Denmark, the Netherlands and Belgium.
Giles Dickson, WindEurope CEO, said: “A 25% increase in one year is spectacular. Offshore wind is now a mainstream part of the power system. And the costs have fallen rapidly. Investing in offshore wind today costs no more than in conventional power generation. It just shows Europe’s ready to embrace a much higher renewables target for 2030. 35% is easily achievable. Not least now that floating offshore wind farms are also coming on line.” (Source and image: WindEurope)
- DORADO: ONE OF THE LARGEST OIL RESOURCES EVER FOUND ON THE AUSTRALIAN NORTH WEST SHELF 22nd August 2018
- PACIFIC DRILLING DRILLSHIPS BACK TO WORK AT LOW DAYRATES 20th August 2018
- MAERSK DRILLING TO BECOME A STAND ALONE COMPANY 17th August 2018
- ICHTHYS LNG PROJECT COMMENCES PRODUCTION 31st July 2018
- KAOMBO, LARGEST DEEP OFFSHORE DEVELOPMENT IN ANGOLA ON STREAM 30th July 2018
- WEATHERFORD DROPS LAND DRILLING OPERATIONS IN ALGERIA, KUWAIT AND SAUDI ARABIA 13th July 2018