OIL PLATFORM EXPLODES IN LAKE PONTCHARTRAIN
An oil rig exploded in Lake Pontchartrain in southeastern Louisiana, on Sunday October 15, near St. Charles Parish and north Kenner. According to Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office, eight people were believed to be aboard the platform at the time of the fire. Five people have been taken to the University Medical Center and two people have been taken to the East Jefferson General Hospital. According to Jefferson Parish officials, one person is unaccounted for. The victims taken to the University Medical Center were taken to the trauma unit for injuries ranging from burns to “blasts” and the other two victims taken to the East Jefferson General Hospital are in stable condition, according to EMS.
Jefferson Parish officials say there were cleaning chemicals aboard the platform but do not know the exact cause of the fire at this time. Arson investigators will determine the cause after the fire has burned out.
The platform located about a mile and a half from the Kenner Boat Launch, in unincorporated Jefferson Parish, is in production and owned by Clovelly Oil Co. The platform is used for the transfer of oil. (Source: Nola)
- NORWEGIAN TYCOON JOHN FREDERIKSEN STANDS DOWN AS SEADRILL CHAIRMAN 22nd November 2019
- SAIPEM AND SUBSEA 7 – A POSSIBLE MERGER TO CREATE A GIANT 19th November 2019
- SHEARWATER GEOSERVICES AWARDED LARGEST EVER 4D CAMPAIGN IN THE ASIA PACIFIC 18th November 2019
- TOTAL FLOWS FIRST GAS FROM IARA IN THE SANTOS BASIN DEEPWATER 18th November 2019
- ADNOC AND TOTAL – WORLD’S FIRST AUTOMATED SEISMIC ACQUISITION 14th November 2019