RAMPION OFFSHORE WIND FARM OPERATIONAL
13km off the Sussex Coast, 116 turbines, generating enough power for around 350,000 UK homes and reducing carbon emissions by around 600,000 tonnes a year, the Rampion Offshore Wind Farm was being officially opened at a ceremony in Brighton.
The latest addition to the UK’s renewable energy future, the 400MW installation will provide a substantial source of electricity for the next 25 years, helping the country to meet environmental targets and climate change commitments.
After a three-year construction schedule involving a workforce of around 750 at peak times, Rampion – the first wind farm off the UK’s south coast – was officially being opened by Her Majesty’s Lord Lieutenant of West Sussex, Susan Pyper. Students from Davison High School for Girls in Worthing, who back in 2010 won a schools competition to name the wind farm after the county flower of Sussex, were also in attendance for the unveiling of a plaque at the i360 observation tower in Brighton to commemorate the occasion.
The site which went into full operation in the spring is the first Crown Estate Round 3 project to be completed. It is owned by E.ON, Enbridge and the UK Green Investment Rampion Ltd (a consortium comprising of the Green Investment Group, Macquarie European Infrastructure Fund 5 and the Universities Superannuation Scheme).
The wind farm is located in the English Channel between 13 and 20 km from the Sussex coast, and stretches from East Worthing in the west, to Brighton in the east. It covers an area of 72 square kilometres, which is just larger than the island of Guernsey in the English Channel. It is being operated and maintained from a purpose-built base at Newhaven Port, and from early in its construction began acting as a catalyst for the regeneration of the port area. (Source: E.ON/Rampion Offshore – Image: Rampion Offsahore)
- AASTA HANSTEEN GAS FIELD ON STREAM 18th December 2018
- ARGENTINA: PETRONAS AND YPF TO INVEST $2.3 BILLION IN LA AMARGA CHICA 12th December 2018
- ENI STRIKES OIL IN THE AFOXE PROSPECT OFFSHORE ANGOLA 10th December 2018
- TALOS ENERGY COMMENCES ZAMA-2 APPRAISAL CAMPAIGN 04th December 2018
- EXXONMOBIL MAKES 10TH DISCOVERY IN STABROEK BLOCK OFFSHORE GUYANA 04th December 2018
- IXACHI BECOMES MEXICO’S LARGEST DISCOVERY IN 25 YEARS 03rd December 2018
- THE GIGANTIC AIRPORTS OF THE FUTURE – ISTANBUL, DAXING, CHANGI, LONG THANH 24th November 2018
- BP STARTS UP CLAIR RIDGE OIL PRODUCTION IN WEST OF SHETLAND 24th November 2018