STATOIL BIG INVESTMENTS IN NORTHERN NORWAY
Johan Castberg, Polarled, Aasta Hansteen, Snefrid Nord, Askeladd and the exploration campaign in the Barents Sea; multi-billion investments are lined up. This creates spin-offs. Thanks to the contract for ten Johan Castberg subsea templates Aker Solutions Sandnessjøen will increase its workforce from 20 to 50 over the next two years.
Celebrations at Sandnessjøen when the news broke that Aker Solutions’ northernmost plant will deliver the ten subsea templates for the Johan Castberg field on 5 March. They will connect a total of 30 wells on the oil field in the Barents Sea.
Six of the subsea templates will be delivered in 2019, and four in 2020.
According to forecasts the activity will now return to the pre-price drop level. The goal, however, is further growth and a turnover of NOK 10 billion per year from 2025. In order to put this goal into perspective: In the period 2010 to 2016 the supply industry in Northern Norway delivered NOK 29.8 billion worth of goods and services to the oil and gas industry. Kjell Giæver, managing director of the supplier network for petroleum activities in the North, Petro Arctic, describes the contract awarded to Aker Solutions Sandnessjøen as one of the biggest industrial contracts to Northern Norway from the oil industry ever. He thinks it represents a spin-off milestone.
“This will generate employment and add value at Helgeland for many years to come,” he says.
After an annual growth of between 10 and 20 percent in the period 2010 to 2015, also suppliers in the North were hit by the oil price decline and empty order books in 2016 and 2017. According to Giæver sales dropped from slightly less than NOK 6 billion per year in the peak period, to around NOK 3.5 billion. At the same time 2,000 to 3,000 full-time jobs disappeared. (Source: Statoil and image: Olaf Nagelhus/Aasta Hansteen platform on tow).
- AASTA HANSTEEN GAS FIELD ON STREAM 18th December 2018
- ARGENTINA: PETRONAS AND YPF TO INVEST $2.3 BILLION IN LA AMARGA CHICA 12th December 2018
- ENI STRIKES OIL IN THE AFOXE PROSPECT OFFSHORE ANGOLA 10th December 2018
- TALOS ENERGY COMMENCES ZAMA-2 APPRAISAL CAMPAIGN 04th December 2018
- EXXONMOBIL MAKES 10TH DISCOVERY IN STABROEK BLOCK OFFSHORE GUYANA 04th December 2018
- IXACHI BECOMES MEXICO’S LARGEST DISCOVERY IN 25 YEARS 03rd December 2018
- THE GIGANTIC AIRPORTS OF THE FUTURE – ISTANBUL, DAXING, CHANGI, LONG THANH 24th November 2018
- BP STARTS UP CLAIR RIDGE OIL PRODUCTION IN WEST OF SHETLAND 24th November 2018