SUNCOR TO COMPLETE THE ACQUISITION OF TOTALENERGIES’ CANADIAN OPERATIONS
Suncor Energy, the Canadian integrated energy company, has agreed to purchase TotalEnergies EP Canada Ltd., which holds a 31.23% working interest in the Fort Hills oil sands mining project (Fort Hills) for $1.468 billion. The acquisition adds 61,000 barrels per day of net bitumen production capacity and 675 million barrels of proved and probable reserves to Suncor’s existing oil sands portfolio. Regulatory approvals have been received and, subject to closing, the transaction will have an effective date of April 1, 2023.
“The transaction secures additional long-term bitumen supply to fill our Base Plant upgraders at a competitive supply cost, addressing a key uncertainty for the company and adding long-term shareholder value,” said Rich Kruger, President and Chief Executive Officer.
Specifically, upon closing of the transaction, Suncor will own 100% of Fort Hills, which along with its 100% ownership of Firebag and MacKay River in-situ assets, provides the company with additional long-life, physically-integrated bitumen supply to maximize the utilization of its wholly-owned Base Plant upgraders post the end of the Base Mine life. The additional interest acquired in this asset will be subject to the company’s objective of achieving net zero greenhouse gas emissions from operations by 2050.
(Source and image: Suncor – Fort Hills mining site)
- ORSTED – HEADWINDS ARE BLOWING ACROSS NEW JERSEY 02nd November 2023
- CHEVRON ACQUIRES HESS FOR $53 BILLION 24th October 2023
- EXXONMOBIL ACQUIRES PIONEER NATURAL RESOURCES 12th October 2023
- TEPCO – DISCHARGE OF FUKUSHIMA CONTAMINATED WATER TO THE OCEAN 27th August 2023
- NORWAY LOGS LARGEST HYDROCARBON DISCOVERY IN A DECADE 12th July 2023
- VOLOCOPTER AND ADP TO OFFER eVTOL SERVICES FOR THE 2024 OLYMPIC GAMES 25th June 2023