TAISHIN 1 WORLD FIRST EPR STARTED
Taishin 1, a third generation European Pressurised reactor (EPR) in China carried out its first nuclear chain reaction on 6 June, an initial startup which is a world first for the much-delayed European technology.
The European Pressurised Reactor in Taishan, southern China “carried out its first chain and therefore it has started,” said Xavier Ursat, head of new nuclear projects for EDF, which has a 30 per cent holding in two reactors under construction in the city.
“This is excellent news for the entire nuclear industry,” he added.
With EPRs in Finland and France facing setbacks, the Taishan 1 reactor is the first of its kind.
Taishan 1 will undergo further testing and commercial operations are still many weeks away. Taishan 2 is expected to enter service next year.
The Taishan Nuclear Power Plant is under construction in Chixizhen, Taishan, Guangdong province, southwestern China. The plant features two Areva’s European Pressurized Reactor. It was planned to go online in 2013 and be the third site to house EPR units, but the start of operation has been postponed to late 2018. Also, more severe delays in other EPR construction sites means that Taishan will probably be the first nuclear power plant with an operational EPR unit. The project is owned by Guangdong Taishan Nuclear Power Joint Venture Company Limited (TNPC), a joint venture, which is 70% owned by China Guangdong Nuclear Power Group (CGNPC) and 30% by Électricité de France (EDF).
Each generator delivers 1750 MWe, the generators of that size are the largest single-piece electrical generators. The 495 tonne generator stator is built by Dongfang Electric. Of the 1750 MWe gross delivered, around 90 MWe will be used by plant systems such as the large pumps that circulate cooling water, leaving 1660 MWe net for supply to the grid. (Source: Business Times, EDF, Wikipedia – Image: EDF)
- EIGHTH OIL DISCOVERY OFFSHORE GUYANA FOR EXXONMOBIL 21st June 2018
- BORR DRILLING READY FOR THE RECOVERY IN JACKUP MARKET 20th June 2018
- EQUINOR AWARDS THE LARGEST SERVICES CONTRACTS EVER 19th June 2018
- DEVELOPMENT DRILLING OF LIZA PHASE 1 OFFSHORE GUYANA COMMENCES 13th June 2018
- TAISHIN 1 WORLD FIRST EPR STARTED 11th June 2018
- 200th LNG CARGO FROM GNLG IN CURTIS ISLAND 07th June 2018
- NOV ACQUIRES DUTCH RIG ENGINEERING FIRM GustoMSC 04th June 2018
- SHELL REPORTS DOVER DISCOVERY IN THE GULF OF MEXICO 24th May 2018