TOTAL AND QATAR PETROLEUM START AL-SHAHEEN OPERATIONS
Total and Qatar Petroleum will take over the operatorship of the giant Al-Shaheen offshore oil field for a period of 25 years beginning July 14, 2017. The field produces 300 thousand barrels of oil per day. The concession will be operated by the North Oil Company (NOC), which was established a year ago as a partnership between Total (30%) and Qatar Petroleum (70%). Located in Qatari waters 80 kilometers North of Ras Laffan, the Al-Shaheen field began production in 1994. The existing development consists of 30 platforms and 300 wells, and production from the field represents about half of Qatar’s oil production.
The first phase of the development plan of Al Shaheen, consisting of the drilling of 56 new wells, will start this summer with the mobilization of the first two rigs, with a third one to be added at the beginning of next year. This first phase will be followed by two others over the next 5 years to further develop the field. (Source: Total – Image: Maersk Oil)
- EIA INTERNATIONAL ENERGY OUTLOOK 2017 18th September 2017
- STONE ENERGY ANNOUNCES RAMPART DEEP SUCCESS 06th September 2017
- TOTAL ACQUIRES MAERSK OIL FOR $7.45 BILLION 21st August 2017
- TRANSOCEAN ACQUIRES SONGA OFFSHORE 15th August 2017
- IAEA: LONG-TERM POTENTIAL OF NUCLEAR POWER REMAINS HIGH 12th August 2017