TOTALENERGIES AND AIRLIQUIDE TO PRODUCE LOW CARBON HYDROGEN AT GRANDPUITS
TotalEnergies and Air Liquide are innovating to produce and valorize renewable, low carbon hydrogen at the Grandpuits zero crude platform. Under a long-term contract committing TotalEnergies to purchase the hydrogen produced for the needs of its platform, Air Liquide will invest over €130 million in the construction and operation of a new unit producing hydrogen. This unit will partly use biogas from the biorefinery built by TotalEnergies and will be delivered with Air Liquide’s carbon capture technology CryocapTM. These innovations will prevent emissions amounting to 150,000 tons of CO2 a year compared to current processes. TotalEnergies’ biorefinery will use the unit’s hydrogen to produce sustainable aviation fuel.
In line with the two companies’ shared ambition to get to net zero by 2050, the project includes sustainable and circular innovations:
• The new hydrogen production unit, with the capacity to produce over 20,000 tons a year will produce hydrogen that is partly renewable, thanks to the recycling of residual biogas from the Grandpuits biorefinery, in place of the natural gas that is normally used.
• This unit will be delivered with a carbon capture technology, allowing it to help reduce the platform’s carbon footprint, by capturing over 110,000 tons of CO2 a year for reuse in food and industrial applications.
• Most of the unit’s renewable, low carbon hydrogen will be used by the biorefinery itself, to produce sustainable aviation fuel, but it could also be used to support sustainable mobility in the Ile-de-France region.
(Source and image: TotalEnergies)
- QATAR ENERGY AND SINOPEC SIGN 27-YEAR LNG SUPPLY AGREEMENT 22nd November 2022
- SCHLUMBERGER CHANGES ITS NAME TO SLB TO DRIVE THE FUTURE OF ENERGY 25th October 2022
- ADNOC BREAKS RECORD FOR THE LONGEST WELL EVER DRILLED 21st October 2022
- SAIPEM AWARDED BY QATARGAS ITS LARGEST SINGLE CONTRACT IN THE COMPANY HISTORY 20th October 2022
- CAMECO AND BROOKFIELD FORM PARTNERSHIP TO ACQUIRE WESTINGHOUSE ELECTRIC 17th October 2022
- SIEMENS GAMESA SG 14-222 DD WIND TURBINE PRODUCED 359 MW WITHIN 24 HOUR 14th October 2022