VARD DELIVERS FIRST LNG-POWERED CRUISE ICEBREAKER LE COMMANDANT CHARCOT
Vard, a Fincantieri company based in Alesund, Norway, announced the delivery of the first hybrid electric cruise icebreaker with LNG propulsion.
Le Commandant Charcot is a hybrid electric polar exploration ship with ice breaking technology powered by Liquefied Natural Gas.
A Polar Class PC2 ship that includes all the latest ‘green’ technologies, such as 100% waste sorted on board and waste treatment. The ship will be fitted with facilities and equipment for research, providing the scientific world with a platform for observation, research and analysis to study water, air, ice, and biodiversity in extreme polar regions.
Le Commandant Charcot will be sailing in the world’s most remote regions: the Geographic North Pole, Northeast Greenland’s National Park, circumnavigation of the Svalbard archipelago, the Bellingshausen Sea, Charcot and Pierre I Islands, Weddell Sea and the Larsen Ice Shelf.
The unique polar exploration ship is developed by PONANT, Stirling Design International, Aker Arctic and VARD and is built by Vard Tulcea in Romania and Vard Søviknes in Norway. The ship is featured with high quality products and solutions from VARD and Fincantieri’s specialized entities.
Le Commandant Charcot is approximately 30 000 gross tons, 150 meters long, 28 meters wide and has a cruise speed of 15 knots in open water. The vessel can accommodate 245 passengers in 123 staterooms, in addition to a crew of 215 persons.
(Source and image: VARD – Cruise icebreaker Le Commandant Charcot)
- WOODSIDE AND SANTOS IN TALKS TO FORM AUSTRALIAN GAS GIANT 08th December 2023
- ORSTED – HEADWINDS ARE BLOWING ACROSS NEW JERSEY 02nd November 2023
- CHEVRON ACQUIRES HESS FOR $53 BILLION 24th October 2023
- EXXONMOBIL ACQUIRES PIONEER NATURAL RESOURCES 12th October 2023
- TEPCO – DISCHARGE OF FUKUSHIMA CONTAMINATED WATER TO THE OCEAN 27th August 2023
- NORWAY LOGS LARGEST HYDROCARBON DISCOVERY IN A DECADE 12th July 2023
- VOLOCOPTER AND ADP TO OFFER eVTOL SERVICES FOR THE 2024 OLYMPIC GAMES 25th June 2023