ZVEZDA SHIPYARD TO BUILD THREE LNG POWERED CARRIERS FOR SOVCOMFLOT
On 28 December 2018, Sovcomflot (SCF Group) placed an order at Zvezda shipbuilding complex for construction of three new generation product carriers that use cleaner-burning LNG fuel as their primary fuel.
Three MR-class vessels will have a deadweight (DWT) of 51,000 tonnes each. They will transport petroleum products and gas condensate and will be chartered to Novatek under long-term time charter agreements. Each tanker will have an ice class of 1B, enabling safe operations in areas with challenging ice conditions, including the Baltic.
Using LNG fuel enables to significantly reduce emissions. Compared to engines burning standard marine fuels, LNG-powered engines release 27 per cent less Carbon Dioxide (CO2), 85 per cent less Nitrogen Oxide (NOx), 100 per cent less Sulphur Oxides (SOx), and 100 per cent less particulate matter.
The technical specification of the tankers reflects the international regulatory limits on sulphur, nitrogen and greenhouse gas emissions, which will come into effect in 2020.
In September 2018, Sovcomflot Group also ordered two 114,000 DWT LNG-fueled Aframax crude oil tankers from Zvezda.
Sovcomflot pioneers the adoption of LNG as the primary fuel for large-capacity oil tankers. In 2018, Sovcomflot has already saw three LNG-fueled Aframax crude oil tankers delivered to its fleet.
SCF Press Service
Sovcomflot (SCF Group) is one of the world’s leading energy shipping companies, specialising in the transportation of crude oil, petroleum products, and liquefied gas, as well as the servicing of offshore oil and gas exploration and production. The company’s fleet includes 144 vessels with a total deadweight of 12.5 million tonnes. 80 vessels have an ice class. Source: (Sovcomflot – Image: Zvezda)
- OCEAN GREATWHITE WORLD’S LAGEST DRILLING SEMI-SUBMERSIBLE ARRIVES AT KISHORN PORT 18th January 2019
- NEW HORIZONS MAKES HISTORIC FLYBY OF ULTIMA THULE 01st January 2019
- NASA: ARCTIC ICE GROWS AT FASTER PACE IN WINTER 29th December 2018
- TRANSOCEAN AWARDED FIVE-YEAR CONTRACT FOR NEWBUILD ULTRA-DEEPWATER DRILLSHIP 29th December 2018
- SHELL PRELUDE FLNG FACILITY STARTS PRODUCTION IN WESTERN AUSTRALIA 26th December 2018
- AASTA HANSTEEN GAS FIELD ON STREAM 18th December 2018