FINLAND’S TVO STARTS REGULAR ELECTYRICITY PRODUCTION AT OLKILUOTO 3 EPR
Olkiluoto 3 is now ready. Test production has been completed and regular electricity production started on Sunday, 16 April 2023. From now on, about 30 percent of Finnish electricity is produced in Olkiluoto. The electricity production volume of Europe’s largest nuclear power plant unit is a significant addition to clean, domestic production. The plant unit will produce energy for at least the next 60 years.
Olkiluoto 3 is the first EPR, which is a type of third generation PWR, to have gone into construction. It has a nameplate capacity of 1600 MW. Japan Steel Works and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries manufactured the unit’s 526-ton reactor pressure vessel
OL3 makes Finland almost self-sufficient. As Finland’s greatest climate act, it will also accelerate the move towards a carbon-neutral society.
The OL3 EPR plant supplier consortium has been constructing the plant unit under a fixed-price turnkey contract. The supplier consortium companies, AREVA GmbH, AREVA NP SAS, and Siemens AG, have joint and several liability for the contractual obligations until the end of the guarantee period of the plant unit.
The plant is owned and operated by Teollisuuden Voima (TVO) and is located on Olkiluoto Island, on the shore of the Gulf of Bothnia, in the municipality of Eurajoki in western Finland.
(Source: TVO – Image: Framatome)
- ORSTED – HEADWINDS ARE BLOWING ACROSS NEW JERSEY 02nd November 2023
- CHEVRON ACQUIRES HESS FOR $53 BILLION 24th October 2023
- EXXONMOBIL ACQUIRES PIONEER NATURAL RESOURCES 12th October 2023
- TEPCO – DISCHARGE OF FUKUSHIMA CONTAMINATED WATER TO THE OCEAN 27th August 2023
- NORWAY LOGS LARGEST HYDROCARBON DISCOVERY IN A DECADE 12th July 2023
- VOLOCOPTER AND ADP TO OFFER eVTOL SERVICES FOR THE 2024 OLYMPIC GAMES 25th June 2023